St Monans Community Arts Festival
Photographic Competition 2017
We know that we have a very picturesque village that already features in many publications and films. Now it is your chance to show its qualities using your photography skills.
What we would like you to do is to submit a photograph with a St Monans theme. That could be a view of the village or of a particular landmark; or a scene of village life – perhaps an event, or people at work or play; or a local nature photo. Please include details of who is in the photo, and where and when it was taken.
You photo should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org – make sure it is good quality: as a guideline, it should be at least 5 megapixels (most modern cameras and many smart phones would be OK).
We will award prizes in three age categories: adult, primary, secondary. The winners will be announced at an exhibition of the best entries, during the Arts Festival weekend.
Photographic Competition 2017 – the Rules
- There will be three age categories – child (primary); child (secondary) and adult. The winner of each category will receive – Child (primary) £25, Child (secondary) £50, adult £100.
- Entrants may submit up to three photographs. Entries should be submitted by email to email@example.com including name, postal address, and phone number. By doing so, you are confirming that you will abide by the rules of the competition.
- Entries should be in .jpg format and preferably be at least 5 megapixels. Images may be enhanced to remove spots or scratches, make them brighter, clearer and so on, but not to manipulate the content.
- Winning entries will be printed and displayed. Mounts are available for A4 size prints – or you may supply mounted prints to a maximum A3 print size, 420mm x 297mm, with mount not exceeding 500mm x 400mm.
- Entries will be judged by a panel of judges, who will consider a range of factors including composition, technique, originality and interpretation of the brief. The judges reserve the right to exclude any image they believe may have been excessively treated so as to alter its authenticity.
- Entrants must not be professional photographers and, for the purposes of this competition, a professional photographer will be considered to be someone who makes more than half their annual income from the sale of their photographs or their services as a photographer.
- All entries must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe the rights of any other party. The entrants must be the sole owner of copyright in all photographs entered and must have obtained permission of any people prominently featured in the entries or their parents/guardians if children under 16 are featured. Prior to submission, entries must not have been professionally commissioned; and entrants must not have offered any of their entries for sale, been paid for any publication of any of their entries, or won or been a runner up in any other photographic competition with any of their entries.
- By submitting your photograph for entry into the competition you will retain your copyright and also hereby grant to the committee of St Monans Community Arts Festival (SMCAF), a royalty free, non assignable, worldwide, non exclusive license to use the photograph for publication for all time.
- If you enter the competition your photograph may be exhibited, published on stmonans.org.uk and related facebook, twitter, and flickr accounts and may be used in publicity for St Monans and associated projects and by our sponsors in their magazines, publicity and website, or in any other media. No fees will be payable for any of the above uses. Entrants whose photographs are one of the finalists also agree to take part in post-competition publicity. While we make every effort to credit photographers, including in printed reproductions of their work, we cannot guarantee that every use of the photographs will include photographers’ names.
- Any commercial opportunities that arise following the publication of the submitted photograph will be notified to the photographer who will be free to negotiate terms independent of the competition. You will be free to decline any commercial usage licenses,
- All personal data provided to SMCAF and the competition sponsors in relation to this competition will be used in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and you hereby consent to us processing all personal data for the purposes of this competition.
- By entering, entrants will be deemed to have agreed to be bound by these rules and SMCAF reserves the right to exclude any entry from the competition at any time and in its absolute discretion if SMCAF has reason to believe that an entrant has breached these rules. The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into. If under 16, a parent or guardian must submit the entries and agree to the terms above.