Minutes of ordinary meeting of the Burgh of St Monans Community Council on Monday 18th May 2009 at 7.30pm in Mayview Hotel Function Suite
E.Scott V.Bland G.Brown R.Craib
V.Salvage E.Hughes T.Hughes A.Anderson
17 members of the public were present.
1) Welcome and Apologies
E.Scott opened the meeting.
There were apologies from W.Buchan, Cllr Riches, Cllr Scott Hayward and D.Palmer.
2) Public Questions
2.1 Residents from Queen Margaret Street expressed their concern about the newly installed gate at the entrance to the recently resurfaced garage site. Their first concern was that they had received no information from FC prior to the installation of the gate. It is believed that the gate was asked for by a resident worried about some drivers ” racing ” round the garages and causing risk, and damaging the road surface. However, other residents do not think there is such a problem, and the addition of a gate will only cause problems of access to the garages by garage owners and difficulty in turning at the end of Queen Margaret Street.
G.Brown suggested a compromise of moving the gate to the far end of the garages which would mean that vehicles could not drive right round garages, but easy access would still be available to garage owners and turning vehicles.
Cllr Macgregor took a note of concerned residents’ contact details and will ask relevant FC officials to contact them to try to secure a solution to the problem which the residents say has been an ongoing issue for about 5 years.
2.2 Several residents from Abercrombie asked why they had not received allotment questionnaires. Members of CC apologised and told them that it was an unfortunate oversight. They were issued with questionnaire forms and asked to return them asap and we would adjust the response results accordingly. Cllr Macgregor is going to ask Fiona Mitchell if a notice board could be funded and erected in Abercrombie to help ensure that they are kept up to date with local issues. In the short term R Craib said that she would email M.Ashworth any updates on ongoing issues and events.
2.3 Eleanor Anderson asked if inset “cave” area on the path leading to the church from Braehead could be tidied up before Sea Queen Day. It was stated that there was no village money available to do this and it would need to be done by volunteers, although Cllr Macgregor will ask if FC would perhaps do this and also cut the overgrown hedge. Mrs Anderson is still keen to see a plaque erected about the possible history of the cave, and a bench.
2.4 Fiona Wright, playleader from St Monans Playgroup, introduced herself to the CC. She is keen to encourage good communications. If she sends information to G.Brown he will put it on the website.
3) Last Minutes and Matters Arising
3(9.3) Beach Clean was a success with a good turn out in good weather.
3(9.5) Floral display letters requesting financial support now all delivered. Some,
although not many, cheques received. Flower baskets and tubs will be ordered
now. To avoid a shortfall in funds, if donations are lower this year, CC
committee agreed to transfer £600 from Heritage account to flower account.
3(8.6) Cllr Macgregor has secured information on Common Good Fund balance
8(8.1) R.Craib contacted Muir over weeds in site beside Industrial Estate.They
agreed to check area.
3(8.6) T.Hughes has received communication from Jim Hooton stating that the
cost of football pavilion is now likely to be nearer £150,000, meaning a shortfall
of £50,000. T.Hughes to contact all involved officials to find out what the problem
is and more importantly what solution can be found.
Minutes of previous meeting were accepted.
4) Chairperson’s Report
Nothing to report
5) Secretary’s Report
CC Correspondence received since 20th April 2009
- Notification of parade arrangements re road closures for Sea Queen Day.
- Copy of letter sent to Sir M-Campbell by Shonaig Macpherson of National Trust for Scotland explaining that East Fife properties will only remain open if extra funding can be secured.
- Notification of FC Transportation Services 2009 Consultation meetings.
- Information on brown tourist signs.
5.1 R.Craib received a letter from M.Davidson in Miller Terrace concerned about
return of the rabbit infestation at the east end of the village, as well as concern
over the lack of grass cutting at the front of the brae. Cllr Macgregor to contact
relevant department to see if there are any possible solutions to these problems.
6) Treasurer’s Report
8.1 Diane Palmer asked if there might be some keen gardeners in the village who could help with primary school’s garden areas. A notice will be put on website and V.Salvage will produce and distribute posters.
8.2 E.Scott commented on need for exterior painting of Heritage building. Seems it is organised through FC and was supposed to be done last year. Inside painting now completed.
9) Close and Date of Next Meeting
10) E.Scott thanked everyone and closed meeting. Next meeting will be on Monday 15th June at 7.30pm in Mayview Hotel Function Suite.
All members of the public are welcome.