St Monans Community Arts Festival
Photographic Competition 2023
Thanks to everyone who entered last year. The winner and other entries were published on the photography website – and a selection were featured in the St Monans Calendar
Photographers love St Monans. And why not? It’s a treasure trove of interesting and beautiful images. No wonder the village features in so many publications and films. What we would like you to do is to submit your photographs of St Monans – they could be a views of the village or of a particular landmark; or scenes of village life – perhaps an event, or people at work or play; or maybe photos of the Beautiful St Monans displays, or a local nature photo.
Please include details of anybody who is prominent in the photos (they should give their permission), and where and when they were taken. Your photos should be sent by email to email@example.com – make sure they are good quality: as a guideline, they should be at least 5 megapixels (most modern cameras and smart phones can do that).
This year’s Community Arts Festival Committee will take place on the 2nd and 3rd of September, so the deadline for this years photography competition will be August 21st. As in previous years, there will be a cash prize for the best entry, and all photos may also be featured in local publications such as the St Monans calendar. The winner will be announced during the Arts Festival weekend.
Photographic Competition 2023 – the Rules
- The winner will receive a prize of £100.
- Entrants may submit up to three photographs. Entries should be submitted by 21st August, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org including name, postal address, and phone number. By doing so, you are confirming that you will abide by the rules of the competition.
- Entries should be in .jpg format and preferably be at least 5 megapixels. Images may be enhanced to remove spots or scratches, correct colour balance, and so on, but please don’t overdo it, and also, do not manipulate content, e.g. by adding elements to the picture – the competition is about photographic rather than digital editing skills, and will be judged accordingly.
- If it is possible to exhibit them in a village venue, a selection of the entries may be printed, mounted and displayed. You may also supply mounted prints to a maximum print size of 420mm x 297mm, with mounts not exceeding 500mm x 400mm.
- Entries will be judged by a panel of judges, who will consider a range of factors such as composition, technique, originality and interpretation of the brief.
- Entrants must not be professional photographers and, for the purposes of this competition, a professional photographer will be considered to be someone who makes more than half their annual income from the sale of their photographs or their services as a photographer.
- All entries must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe the rights of any other party. The entrants must be the sole owner of copyright in all photographs entered and must have obtained permission of any people prominently featured in the entries or their parents/guardians if children under 16 are featured. Prior to submission, entries must not have been professionally commissioned; and entrants must not have offered any of their entries for sale, been paid for any publication of any of their entries, or won or been a runner up in any other photographic competition with any of their entries.
- By submitting your photograph for entry into the competition you will retain your copyright and also hereby grant to the committee of St Monans Community Arts Festival (SMCAF), a royalty free, non assignable, worldwide, non exclusive license to use the photograph for publication for all time.
- If you enter the competition your photograph may be exhibited, published on St Monans websites and related Facebook, twitter, and web accounts; may be used in publicity for St Monans and associated projects; and by our sponsors in their magazines, publicity and website, or in any other media. No fees will be payable for any of the above uses. Entrants whose photographs are one of the finalists also agree to take part in post-competition publicity. While we make every effort to credit photographers, including in printed reproductions of their work, we cannot guarantee that every use of the photographs will include photographers’ names.
- Any commercial opportunities that arise following the publication of the submitted photograph will be notified to the photographer who will be free to negotiate terms independent of the competition. You will be free to decline any commercial usage licenses.
- All personal data provided to SMCAF and the competition sponsors in relation to this competition will be used in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and you hereby consent to us processing all personal data for the purposes of this competition.
- By entering, entrants will be deemed to have agreed to be bound by these rules and SMCAF reserves the right to exclude any entry from the competition at any time and in its absolute discretion if SMCAF has reason to believe that an entrant has breached these rules. The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into. If under 16, a parent or guardian must agree to the terms above.