ST. MONANS AND ABERCROMBIE COMMUNITY COUNCIL
Minute of the ordinary general meeting held in the Church Hall, Station Road on Monday 20th November 2023 at 7.30 pm
|Marjory Ashworth (Chair), Morven Syme (Vice President), Eileen Montador (Secretary), David Robertson (Treasurer), Niamh Syme (Social Media), Diane Martin (Minute Secretary)
|Cllr Sean Dillon
|Members of the public: 11
|Welcome and apologies. Marjory Ashworth welcomed everyone to the meeting and reminded those present that there would be no meeting in December.
Apologies were received and recorded. There were concerns that two of the Councillors were not aware of the meeting this evening as no apologies had been received which was unusual.
|Declarations of interest There were no declarations of interest.
SMAKE (St. Monans Auld Kirk Enterprise) Marjory Ashworth provided an update on behalf of this group, which has been set up to look into a community purchase of the Auld Kirk. The group has been working with Fife Historic Buildings and a business plan has now been drawn up. This will be sent to the Church of Scotland Trustees for consideration. The plan includes proposals for a café/wedding venue/public use for hire. Funding will be needed to finance internal modifications. The group has also met with Fife Voluntary Action to see how best to establish SMAKE to ensure that it can be run as a charity, but also as a business. Currently waiting to hear about funding and it is likely that this will be a long process.
Sean Blake Sean has put forward a proposal to paint a mural on the bus shelter on Elm Grove. Sean has Artwork displayed all over the world and he has now settled in St. Monans and would like to brighten up the local bus shelter. He is keen to design something which will make people smile and he will send samples by email for consideration by the CC. Cllr Dillon has established that Fife Council would also like to review the design. In general, the meeting was in favour of this proposal.
|Previous minutes and matters arising
Money for the Autumn Club – The previous CC Treasurer had applied for this grant but had no response. David Robertson is currently pursuing this.
Path at Station Rd/Braehead – Morven Syme is continuing to investigate options for funding.
The October minute was proposed by Morven Syme and seconded by Eileen Montador.
|Police matters and report There were no representatives from the police present and Eileen Montador provided a brief report on their behalf:
There were 23 calls made to the police in the previous month. 3 calls were for St. Monans with 3 crimes recorded.
David Robertson highlighted that there have been more police in the village recently monitoring the speed of traffic.
It is possible to email the local police community team with any concerns or information. This email address is not for reporting a crime or ongoing incidents as it is not manned 24/7. eastneuklandwardCPT@scotland.police.uk
Marjory Ashworth reminded the meeting that there was still a vacancy on the Community Council. Morven Syme, who was absent at the previous meeting, has intimated that she would stand for the Vice President position. This was proposed by Eileen Montador and seconded by David Robertson.
An enquiry has also been made by Mervyn Blank to re-join the Community Council. Mervyn was proposed by Eileen Montador and seconded my Morven Syme.
Rae Wallace has agreed to provide future reports to the CC on behalf of the Floral Group.
Balance at 28/10/23 – £3157.25
Costs to remove hanging baskets – £360 (paid 28/10/23)
Invoice from Pathhead Nurseries 1/11/23 – £3743.82 (unpaid)
Awaiting funds from Fife Council totalling £840
Also awaiting confirmation from Fife Council for remaining amount due to be transferred from CGF to Floral fund for previously approved annual funds.
Balance at 15/11/23 – £365.13
Invoice from Business Stream – £61.64 (paid)
Cash flow Accounts Balance at 28/9/23 – £662.74
Colin Wilson resigned as the financial records examiner on 20th September 2023. Zoe Davidson (Accountant) will now take over.
The Treasurer is currently awaiting a reply from Fife Council regarding making online CGF applications.
Applications awaiting submission:
St. Monans Heritage Collection – £4950 (book publishing not yet submitted)
Autumn Club – £500 (previously applied and no response)
Eileen Montador intimated that she had experienced difficulties accessing CC emails. This issue has now been resolved and she extended her apologies for anything which might have been missed.
The secretary has also received a communication asking that the CC support the proposed Climate and Ecology Bill. Mrs Ashworth advised that the CC would need more information before agreeing to this.
Eileen Montador read out the report from Cllr Dillon in his absence:
Matters Arising from 16th of October: I have spoken with the council regarding the overgrown grass at West End and the hedges at the bowling green. They inform me that these will be cut. (Noted – now cut)
Bus Shelter Mural: Following Eileen’s email, I have spoken with council officers regarding the proposal for painting a mural. They inform me that they would like to see any proposed designs before it goes ahead.
Play Spaces Categorisation: On Tuesday, 24th of October, local elected members met with officers from the council’s Parks & Open Spaces team to discuss the future of play spaces across the ward. In St. Monans, a decision was taken that when the swings at the bathing pool and the playpark at Newark Street reach the end of their lives, they will be replaced with natural play equipment. This will allow for further funding to be put into the playparks at the Mair and Queen Margaret Street.
Street Lighting: At last month’s meeting I informed the community council that Scottish Power would be in the village during the week commencing 23rd of October to investigate problems with streetlights in Hope Place, George Terrace & Miller Terrace. Unfortunately, due to problems with contractors this had to be postponed. The council is currently chasing it up.
Area Roads Programme 2024/25 Council officers will be holding meetings with elected members at the beginning of December to discuss the proposed Area Roads Programme for the financial year 2024/25. If the community council and residents know of any roads and pavements that require attention, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will raise these suggestions with officers.
Bus Services Survey: Willie Rennie is currently undertaking a survey across NE Fife regarding the changes to bus services and timetables over the last few years. To take part, please visit https://digitallibdems.typeform.com/to/VaYu5WKg?fbclid=IwAR1Uny57o23ZXe3Ffeh1OaM68Ut2EcIRWM6jEOM1V_kYO0UW3iSiZshVKbA&typeform-source=l.facebook.com
Niamh Syme (Social Media) Niamh is now accessing the Facebook Page and the website (stmonans.org.uk). She can be contacted by email at email@example.com
Diane Martin (Minute Secretary) Diane raised concerns about the condition of the footpath leading from St. Monans to Abercrombie. The path is in need of maintenance as people are having to walk on the road to avoid slipping. There is no bus service through Abercrombie and this footpath is vital for villagers who do not have access to a car. Morven Syme agreed to report this to Fife Council along with other concerns about local roads and footpaths i.e., flooded road surface facing Falkland Garage, flooding at Coal Farm, BT hole across from Coal Farm, pavement across from the new housing development etc.
Morven Syme (Vice President) The software at the planning department of Fife Council is faulty and Morven has not been able to access information about recent local applications.
Rae Wallace advised that she has spoken to the Primary School Headteacher, who is keen for the pupils to be involved in the work of the Floral Group. Rae will contact Mrs McBain in February to discuss this further.
It has been too wet recently for much planting however, there has been some work done at the top of the village.
There has been a move towards purchasing Perennials to save money going forward.
David Robertson advised that he will be storing the village hanging baskets in one of his business units as Pathhead cannot offer this service at the moment. Also, he as been advised by Pathhead that they need to know how many baskets will be required next year. This information will be needed by the next meeting.
Rae also confirmed that a few people in the village have opted to take responsibility for a tub. There has also been a suggestion made about asking people in the village if the group could perhaps gain access to a greenhouse?
Niamh has drafted a letter requesting sponsorship from local businesses to support the floral displays in the village.
David confirmed that we can obtain match funding from Fife Council for all monies raised locally.
What is happening with the Memorial Garden? Rae Wallace advised that Hugh is still awaiting a response from Fife Council about the lease, despite several emails.
The glass is loose in the noticeboard at the Memorial Garden and is presenting safety concerns. Niamh agreed to look into this.
2024 Burns Supper. This will take place on Saturday 3rd February 2024 and more information will be available after Christmas. The local Headteacher is keen for the pupils to play a part in this.
Church Concert – this will take place in the Church Hall on Saturday 2nd December at 2pm. All welcome.
Christmas Tree light switch on – this will take place at the Church Hall at 6pm on Saturday 2nd December. There will be hot chocolate etc. and maps will be issued detailing the locations of the Christmas windows throughout St. Monans.
Christmas Singalong – this will be held in the Church Hall on Sunday 3rd December between 2-4 pm. All welcome.
|Close/date and time of next meeting
The next meeting will be held on Monday 15th January 2024 at 7.00/7.30 pm.
Mrs Ashworth thanked everyone for their attendance and brought the meeting to a close.