Many thanks to everyone who sent in their suggestions for street names in the new housing development to the west of the old Manse. After considering the fifty suggestions, the Community Council has decided to submit the following six names onto Fife Council. The rationale for each name is also provided below.
|Burn Drive||Adjacent to the Inverary burn|
|Manse Place||Adjacent to the former Manse of St Monans|
|The Fifies (or Fifie Road)||In recognition of the traditional fishing boats on the East coast of Scotland from the 1850’s|
|Sandilands Avenue||James Sandilands, 1st Lord of Abercrombie and former owner of Newark castle|
|Maggie Morgan Drive||To commemorate the lives and deaths of women in the East Neuk who were burned as “witches” in the 17th century. In St Monans, the last “witch” to die in this way was Maggie Morgan. It is a horrendous story and some sort of atonement is due to this innocent young woman|
|Railway Terrace||The new houses are next to the old railway line that used to run through St Monans|
The suggestion for Maggie Morgan was supported by the Remembering the Accused Witches of Scotland (RAWS) group and you can download a copy of their letter summarising the cruel and tragic life of this innocent young woman who lived in St Monans in 1651.