Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Burgh of St Monans and Abercrombie Community Council held on Tuesday, 17 December 2013 at 7.30 pm.
|A Anderson (Chairman)||G Brown (Treasurer)||R Craib (Secretary)||M Ashworth|
|E Scott||Cllr MacGregor||W Buchan||E Porteous(Minute Secretary)|
Members of the public: 3
|Action / Person Responsible|
|1||Welcome and ApologiesThe Chairman welcomed everyone.Apologies from: V Salvage, V Bland, P Copland, P Shafren,
Cllr Docherty, Cllr Riches and Ena Hughes.
|2||Declarations of InterestNone|
|3||Last Minutes and Matters Arising3.1 (10.2) Road collapse at the corner of Inverie Street and Queen Margaret Street. R Craib reported that a Scottish Water burst pipe had caused this; and that repairs have now been completed.
3.2 (10.5) The muddy, slippery and dangerous footpath at Abercrombie
Fife Council had been contacted and had said that the path would benefit from being scraped and top-dressed. M Ashworth said that Fife Council had not understood what we want to be done; and said that she would email P Copland in order to take this further.
3.3 (5.8) Lamposts in West Street
Cllr MacGregor reported that he received an email from
Stuart Fergusson on 22 October, saying that the work required would be carried out in 2014 / 15.
3.4 (5.9) Railway Bridge in Poor Repair
Cllr MacGregor reported that he had contacted Murray Scott who had contacted Jim Hanney in Fife Council, but that he had not as yet received a reply.
3.5 (10.3) Problem with the road at the back of Miller Terrace
Cllr MacGregor said that Sara Wilson, the lead professional in Maintenance Operations, said that Lynne Davidson, Maintenance Engineer would be in touch to arrange a site meeting. The Chairman said that he did not think that the CC had received a breakdown of the cost. Cllr MacGregor said that he thought that this would be discussed when Leanne Davidson comes for the site meeting.
The Chairman indicated that he was not clear whether Fife Council would be undertaking the works. The CC had received an email from Fife Council saying that it was fine for the CC to go ahead. However, Sara had said that works would not be able to commence until the next financial year, which would suggest that Fife Council are taking this forward. Cllr MacGregor said that he would contact Leanne Davidson to find out when she would be coming for the site visit.
3.6 (9) Proposed Change for Miller’s Shed in the Virgin Square to Fish Processing.
R.Craib reported that Alistair Muirhead had replied to the CC after the meeting, first of all saying he was concerned about the situation; then saying that it looks as if the CC has sent out notices to neighbours but this does not require planning permission.
The Minutes of the previous Ordinary Meeting of the Burgh of
St Monans and Abercrombie Community Council, held on Monday, 18 November 2013, were approved.
George Brown W Buchan
M Ashworth /
|4||Chairperson’s ReportChairperson had nothing to report.|
|5||Secretary’s Report5.1 The Secretary said that she had received an email with photographs from a member of the public saying that she was concerned about the safety of very slippery steps opposite Pathhead Nursery between St Monans and Pittenweem. The Secretary said that she had now emailed a Coastal Path contact (who V Salvage had found – through Ian Barbour). The Secretary indicated that there were a few Consultations:
5.3 The main Consultation received was the Fife Local Development Plan – seeking views on preferred sites for future housing, employment and mixed use development, prior to publishing the Proposed Local Development Plan in 2014.
Cllr MacGregor explained that this Plan concerned the sites which developers would like to develop; but went on to say that
Fife Council will not necessarily allow these developments.
The consultation asks “Do you agree with the preferred strategy” for each area in Fife including the East Neuk area. There were no new consultation sites listed under St Monans or Abercrombie. Consultation document is available to be viewed on the
Fife Direct website – Fife Local Development Plan
5.4 Customer Forum Strategic Review of Water Charges – asks for people to submit views if they wish. This was set up to make sure that people get water at a reasonable price. The Chairman explained that Scottish Water have to submit their Plan for the next 6 years and basically say how much they will want to invest and how much they would like to borrow. This then relates to how much they will charge their customers. They are restricted regarding how much these charges should go up.
5.5 Scottish Rural Development Programme –
Consultation Stage 2.
Please see Scottish Government Website
(The CC were asked to pass this on to anyone who may be interested.)
5.6 An email had been received saying that The Scottish Government announced that Scotland will have a Rural Parliament. The email goes on to say that an important part of the process is set out in a briefing sheet to Community Councils, inviting parties to opt into our inaugural Rural Parliament which is likely to start in November 2014.
5.7 An email had been received: “Have your say on Local Bus Services” – saying that Fife Council had held an extensive pre-tender consultation in June 2013, which helped influence the routes eventually put out to tender. With tender bids returned the Council is now seeking views on the proposed, subsidized bus routes from August 2014. (The list they give includes the 95 Service.)
A Anderson said that the CC had already sent something to
Fife Council saying how important bus services were to people in St Monans.
The Consultation runs from 16 December 2013 to 12 January 2014 and can be accessed through Fife Direct website: http://www.fifedirect.org.uk/haveyoursay
R Craib said that the CC could say that their concern would be for the 95 to continue; and suggested individuals could do this as well.
5.8 Grow Wild Funding Grants are available for sowing native trees and wild plants to give neglected and uncared for places a new lease of life. Projects must be clearly Community-led with local people, including young people, involved in the design and decision-making. Projects must include a site that the community will continue to benefit from in the future. The Chairman suggested that Beautiful St Monans might take this forward. (link no longer works)
5.9 There was mention of the proposed medium-scale developments and allotments. Cllr MacDonald said that there was going to be new proposals coming up regarding allotments.
R Craib/members of the public
Beautiful St Monans
|6||Treasurer’s ReportThe Treasurer reported on changes since his last Report. 6.1 Fife Council paid for the last bench – and added that that is all the benches in and now paid for.
6.2 The only other thing that has been paid out is the painting of the Heritage Collection’s door. The Heritage Collection’s door has been repainted and repaired, but public work will be required at some point.
6.3 G Brown said that the CC had been approached informally by the church, asking whether the CC could give some money towards floodlighting the church over December-January period. It was agreed that the CC would provide £100 towards this cost.
6.4 G Brown said that, as the CC was aware, Win and Alan have been asked to help plant a garden at the Chelsea Flower Show in 2014; and asked if the CC could help support this. The Wellie Garden, representing St Monans will be included in the Chelsea Flower Show Garden, which would help promote St Monans and it was felt that there would be a positive benefit in the form of Tourism. Kinghorn and St Andrews CCs have also been asked for their support (£2,000 from each). A local landowner has made a generous donation and another person has made a generous donation.
The Chairman said that it would need to be put forward in the correct manner, and that the CC could not make a decision on the application until we actually receive it. He also suggested that it could be possible that the CC may be able to find that they could support it through fund-raising.
6.5 (5.7) Overgrown hedges at the Pend
The CC has been informed that these have nothing to do with Fife Council (unless they are blocking a public footpath). V Salvage is now in touch with Ian Barbour. The CC will check with V Salvage.
G Brown /
|7||Planning No report|
|8||Public Questions8.1 A member of the public asked if the CC knew where the allotments were going now. Cllr MacGregor said the people who had previously come to explain the allotment proposal to the CC were going to come back with a new proposal.
8.2 A member of the public asked whether sites for the mosaics had been identified. It was thought that these would probably be located in front of the Winch House, but would probably not be installed until next year when the weather was better.
8.3 A member of the public asked if there had been any further news regarding the possible closure of the Heritage Centre.
G Brown said that he had not had the chance to get hold of the owner, but that he would pursue it.
8.4 A member of the public asked if there was anything forthcoming about the Marina. The reply was that Gordon Bell is taking that forward, but that this takes a while; the vehicle for that is through the Community Trust; and they were awaiting the next meeting of the Community Trust.
8.5 A member of the public asked about the double yellow lines. The reply was that that the CC was waiting for the Committee who deals with this to meet. Cllr MacGregor said that the next meeting regarding Planning Applications will be on 8 January 2014; and stated that this Committee meets every 4 weeks.
8.6 In a reply to a question from a member of the public, it was stated that the CC were no further forward regarding the location of the defibrillator.
8.7 A member of the public asked whether it was possible to get something done about the Wheelie Bins at the at the back of East Shore – the common ground at the Forth Street end of George Terrace.
R.Craib will contact Waste Aware about whether all houses should have bins and if so, can residents be asked to put bins away during the week to prevent a hazard.
8.8 A member of the public asked about progress regarding the railing down the Plerick. It was reported that Ian Barbour is now responding to V Salvage and V Salvage is now more positive and quite hopeful that there will be some progress.
8.9 A member of the public asked about the hedge growing though the wall down from Braehead where the back of the property comes to the Plerick.
The Chairman replied that all we can do is contact Fife Council (through Ian Barbour), and point out that there is a danger that a wall could fall over. R Craib suggested that G Brown should have a look at it and email V Salvage with what needs to be done.
8.10 A member of the public said that they had contacted FC about the coastal erosion near the Saltpans and were told that If there is a local initiative FC would help, but said that they were not going to replace the information boards.
|9||AOCB 9.1 R Scott reported that an “Unsuitable for Heavy Vehicles” sign had been put up at the start of George Terrace and Hope Place. 9.2 G Brown reported a meeting with Toby Anstruther and a group of others. He said that he had had a meeting with them (with quite a few Members of the Community Council) about
9 months ago. At the end of November they asked if M Ashworth could go and meet with them as a courtesy to explain their proposals. The proposals have not changed, apart from one change, which G Brown said he thought was not of concern. They did not say there is going to be any café, restaurant or farm shop. They would, however, have Farmers’ Markets once or twice a month. They are definitely not wanting to compete with Ardross, or anything else in the village. They in fact may want to sell produce to Ardross. The piggery would relocate to there and a new shed would be built to replace an old shed.
Regarding the allotment area. They are not proposing an allotment as such. It is a community farm. (Where you get a part of a row of eg potatoes, part of a row of cabbages etc.) The Allotments Association in general are not interested.
What was said at the time was that Peter Duncan had about
20 names of people who wanted to take part in this.
Regarding the timescales for the development – they are looking at 2015 because currently they are having to do a Bat Study.
Transportation – they say there is no problem regarding the entrance.
One small point which was of interest – towards the end of the meeting somebody brought up about the pavement which was broken down and somebody said that they could take a machine and sort it out.
There was general discussion regarding the proposal. G Brown said that a Planning Officer had said that the plans and the application as it was described to him could not include a retail outlet. If they wanted the retail outlet they would have to put in a totally new application.
The Architect is going to redraw the Plans to take into account what he has been told to do by Planning and Transportation. (This is going to be at least 2015.)
G Brown said that the layout looked quite nice. Community Farm, bedding then Community Orchard, then glass houses screened with trees, and the majority of car parking round the back; and went on to say that he thought we are at the stage of waiting to see what the plans actually are.
G Brown said that he and M Ashworth had a meeting with them on Thursday and were asked about who may be interested in the Community Farm from the village. Carol Fitzgerald is Project Managing for the proposals.
9.3 A Anderson said the Sam Parsons had contacted him saying that someone was asking if he could pass on my details regarding investing money in the local community. A Anderson gave permission to pass on his details.
9.4 G Brown said that at the last meeting the CC discussed Community Pay Back. G Brown said that he checked with
V Salvage and she has not heard anything regarding this. G Brown said that he felt that the CC should make a formal complaint. He had been told at a meeting that the CC just needed to submit the appropriate applications, so V Salvage resubmitted them. We have had a deafening silence in return.
Cllr Macgregor said that he would try to find out who is responsible for Community Payback now. (It was Archie Melville.)
9.5 G Brown asked about progress regarding the question which had been asked at a previous meeting about the Seafood Restaurant not having Planning Consent for some of the alterations it had carried out.
Cllr MacGregor replied that they did look at some certificates which they did have.
G Brown said that the Seafood Restaurant did a lot of work on a listed building with no listed building permissions.
Cllr MacGregor agreed to chase up to see what has been done.
9.6 W Buchan said that the harling on the bus shelter at the bottom of the road is coming off and nearly hit someone.
R Craib said that she would ask P Copland.
9.7 W Buchan reported that the road sign at the back of the town hall has rotted at the bottom and has fallen over. A new pole needs to be put in and a new sign put up.
R Craib again said that she would ask P Copland to deal with this.
G Brown /
R Craib /
|10||Close and Date of Next MeetingThe Chairman thanked everyone and closed the meeting.|
The next meeting will be on Monday, 20 January 2014 at 7.30 pm in the
Mayview Hotel Function Suite.