Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Burgh of St Monans and Abercrombie Community Council held on Monday 21st October 2013 at 7.30 pm in Mayview Hotel Function Suite. (Draft)
|A Anderson (Chairman)||G Brown (Treasurer)||R Craib (Secretary)||Cllr D Macgregor|
|P Copland||E Scott||T Hughes||Cllr E Riches|
|W Buchan||M Ashworth||P Shafron||Ian Reekie|
Members of the public – 8
|Action / Person Responsible|
|1||Welcome and ApologiesThe Chairman welcomed everyone,
Apologies from Cllr Docherty, E Hughes, V Bland, V Salvage.
|2||Declarations of InterestThe following Community Council Members declared an interest (as Members of the Community Trust) in the Planning Application for all-weather tennis courts and multi games area beside Hope Place:
T Hughes, A Anderson, R Craib, G Brown, P Copland, Cllr D Macgregor, P Shafron,
|3||Road at the back of Miller TerraceThe Chairman said that previously it had been brought to the Community Council’s attention that the road was not suitable for refuse collection vehicles. The Community Council had received a response from Transportation regarding what was required to upgrade the road – giving an estimated cost of £30,000 for such an upgrade – over half of the cost being for excavation and removal of topsoil.
The Chairman added that Fife Council have no funds available for this for the current year, and do not give much hope for other years. (The Community Council have checked with the Council and the road has not been adopted – despite the presence of street lighting.)
A member of the public said that the Community Council had indicated that residents of Miller Terrace may want to make a contribution. The resident said that he would not be contributing and thought it was a dangerous precedent to ask for private individuals to fund roads.
The Chairman replied that the Community Council has been given an estimated cost for these works of £30,000, and we have no identified source for this funding.The Community Council were not seeking a contribution from the residents, but merely stating that no source of funding had been ruled out prior to engagement with the community. He added that the Community Council want to find out how we can reduce the costs without a negative impact on the quality of the solution.
|M Ashworth had been asked if she would find out if any local farmers would be willing to take the topsoil removed from the site (as this could potentially reduce the cost of the project). M Ashworth reported that P Peddie would be willing to take the topsoil from Miller Terrace, but commented that she did not know how much that would reduce the proposed cost, as it was not clear from Fife Council’s estimate.
A member of the public asked whether the proposed road included kerbs and pavements. The Chairman answered that it did not. The member of the public commented said that all residents of Miller Terrace wanted the road to be dry – one of the most important thing is the drainage – (bevelled, so that it drains to the park); and pictures were produced showing the current state of the road.
A member of the public commented that he did not want the road to be really good, because it would just encourage more people to use the road. The Chairman replied that there had been concern expressed that upgrading could encourage more traffic, which could have an impact on safety.
However a member of the public added that the traffic from refuse vehicles resulted in the need for a much higher specification, than would otherwise be required.
It was further commented that if the road was constructed to a lower specification (even if a sign was put up saying no heavy vehicles) it would be likely to be used by some larger vehicles.
A discussion took place between members of the public and the Community Council regarding the merits of the suggestion of moving the bins to another location. Cllr Riches asked if the residents from Miller Terrace would be happy pulling their bins for 50 yards. A member of the public responded that he thought that the refuse vehicle should maintain the service and the road should be adequate for this purpose.
Cllr D Macgregor asked if the Community Council wanted to spend Common Good Funding. The Chairman responded that if the Community Council were to use Common Good funding they would have to demonstrate that it was for the good of the community. Also the Community Council would first have to make sure it is the right solution for all concerned – and make sure it is a long-term solution.
Cllr D Macgregor offered to approach the Refuse section of the Council to ask about funding, but was not very optimistic.
M Ashworth asked whether, because the road would be constructed on common ground, the Council would have to do the work, and added that, as we have costings from the Council, could we ask another contractor to do what the Council are proposing.
Cllr E Riches replied that there would be no harm in asking the Council that question.
Cllr D Macgregor offered to ask Transportation if it is possible to get a private contractor to do the work.
T Hughes commented that the contractors who put the Pavilion in place have now gone out of business which caused problems.
The Chairman added that an advantage of getting Fife Council to do the work is that, if the work is not done correctly, then Fife Council would have to fix it.
The Chairman commented that it is possible that Fife Council could give the go-ahead to use another contractor, but that in that circumstance the entire project must be managed. P Copland suggested that if a private contractor was given the specification, they would know what was required to build the road to the required standard to meet the specification. The Chairman asked how this could be managed. P Copland suggested that he could do it; and said that if you employed someone to manage the project it would cost another £5,000-£10,000.
Cllr D Macgregor
Cllr D Macgregor
| The Chairman said that we should look for an acceptable solution – (making sure that the technicians understood the need for a slope that would let the water run away):
The first thing was to find out what local residents feel
Get a full breakdown of costs.
Find out if there is any funding from Environmental Health (Fiona Mitchell might be able to advise if there is funding for the local area.)
Look at an application from the Common Good Fund (the maximum that can be applied for is about £20,000 in any one year for all projects – it is only possible to apply for interest – not capital)
The Community Council will also have to consider how it will be maintained (Transportation said in their last response that they would not adopt and maintain.) So the Community Council will need some kind of budget for ongoing repairs.
Cllr D Macgregor commented that someone will need to co-ordinate this before he approached anyone about funding.
There was discussion regarding the need to get the break-down of costs and full specification, including width of road, proposed kerbs (and whether it includes kerbing both sides). The Chairman commented that one of his concerns was that if we have no kerbs whether the road would break up.
P Copland suggested that the Community Council should ask for a specific breakdown of the whole cost – including complete breakdown of costs of initial excavation, transportation and disposal of waste.
A resident asked whether an engineer had looked at the road. The Chairman responded that the CC will ask if an inspection has been done on site, and ask that the specification has taken into account the largest waste vehicle that will use the road.
The Chairman suggested that the Community Council try to:
get the information back from Fife Council;
then get a comparative quote based on the Council Specifications and bring that to the next meeting, so that we can get a likely cost and the likely alternative cost.;
check that is an acceptable solution for everyone;
then check again with Environmental Services and see if they can put some funds towards the final cost.
The Chairman added that he would imagine that it could take some time to get some answers from the Council. He added that he would want the Community Council to be putting forward a final solution, with: firm costs; firm estimates and where other funding will be coming from.
The Chairman asked if everyone was happy with what was proposed. A member of the public replied that it was important to engage with the Residents.
The Chairman added that when the work is agreed there is the planning aspect to be dealt with and Fife Council, or whoever is involved, will have to liaise with the residents.
|4||Last Minutes and Matters Arising4.1 (3) Village Emergency Plan – R Craib reported 2 people have indicated that they are willing to come forward to help with the planning, and suggested that as we have not any known volunteers at this stage that this could be left over.|
|4.2 P Copland had feedback regarding the roads at the corner of West Street and Station Road. Within 2 days of the meeting the bollard had been fixed and re-erected.|
|4.3 P Copland also said that he had reported a problem regarding the egress from George Terrace to Forth Street to Stuart Goodfellow, and that he would chase it up.|
|4.4 P Copland said that the lining of roads has been transferred to Roads Department. The original yellow lining at the foot of Station Road running along to Mid Pier has been put forward for approval by the police and local Councillors.|
|4.5 Abercrombie – one of the original cast iron gullies needs to be replaced. It has not come into the priority list for this financial year, but it is now on the list of things to do.|
|4.6 A member of the public reported that a pipe causing a problem to the banking at the cemetery, and suggested it would make a mess if it goes into the burn. The Chairman suggested that the matter should be brought to the attention of Transportation by P Copland and that V Salvage should be asked to contact Ian Barbour to ask whether Parks or Transportation are responsible for this.||
|4.7 (4.5) Regarding the mounds of earth at the cemetery. The Chairman got a response from Liz Murphy who said that the work had been set back because of other priorities. G Brown said that the earth has been moved, but that it has just been put into one pile (instead of two). The Chairman said that he would go back and ask Liz Murphy to chase this along.||
|4.8 (10.1) Regarding the cleaning of the War Memorial. Cllr D Macgregor passed on the information and said that we could apply to the War Memorial Fund. Liz Murphy advised that Ken Gourlay should be contacted. However, G Brown advised that the job has now been done and looks quite good, and that the cheque had been written.|
|4.9 (4.9) Regarding the siting of the 3rd defibrillator, G Brown said that he had now written the letter to the owner of the Heritage Building and was awaiting a response.||G Brown|
|4.10 (4.10) M Ashworth advised that the ‘no dogs allowed’ signs for the children’s play area had been ordered.||M Ashworth|
|4.11 (4.11) Re railing down the Plerick. It was reported that V Salvage has not had any response from Ian Barbour.||V Salvage|
|4.12 (10.3) Re Road Resurfacing and Accidents at Abercrombie. Cllr D Macgregor reported that Transportation were not going to do anything about the reported accidents, because they had no corroboration.
Cllr E Riches added that they were impressed that it had been noticed that the A roads and B roads had different chips, and said that the reason why the roads that had had top dressing were chosen was not because of potholes. The roads chosen have been picked following a survey by the Scottish Government to do with skid resistance.
The Chairman reported that loose stones were still coming up and hitting car windscreens. Cllr E Riches said that she will report this to Transportation, and will ask them to go back to have another look.
M Ashworth said that all accidents were reported to the police and said she would continue noting and reporting accidents on the corner at Abercrombie.
Cllr Riches reported that, as regards the resurfacing being value for money, Transportation said that it cost £2 per square metre.
Cllr E Riches
|4.13 (10.4) Billy Morris spoke about the airplane which crashed in 1945, giving details of the crash (which came down near Cellardyke rather than St Monans as had been reported), as well as details regarding who was involved in the rescue.
He said that a salvage company has been given the task of completing a Barracuda (the Barracuda Project) and the only parts they have for this task are from crash sites.
He said that there were quite a few Barracudas which came down off St Monans, and hopefully the salvage company will be able to raise some of the wreckage to help them build a Barracuda.
The salvage company got in touch with Billy Morris to ask if he had any connection between him and John Morris who had helped rescue the woman airline pilot. (John Morris turned out to be Billy Morris’ grandfather’s brother).
Billy Morris asked if the Community Council would consider a plaque to commemorate the crewmen’s action in saving the pilot’s life. (The fishing boat sailed from St Monans.)
The Chairman replied that the Community Council could look into how much this would cost.
R Craib commented that one of the ideas for the Community Arts Festival was to link the Festival with the history of St Monans, and suggested that perhaps we could have the unveiling of the plaque at the Arts Festival.
The Chairman asked who the Community Council should ask to get permission to install a plaque. T Hughes replied that it could go into the Heritage Centre. The Chairman said that it would be nice to have a plaque that everyone could see and suggested that the Community Council could liaise with Ian Reekie.
|4.14 The Minutes of the previous Ordinary Meeting of the Burgh of St Monans and Abercrombie Community Council held on Monday, 16 September 2013, were approved.Proposer Seconder
P Copland G Brown
|5||Chairperson’s ReportChairperson had nothing to report.|
|6||Secretary’s Report6.1 The Secretary advised that she had been given information about being ready for winter and drawing attention to the importance of looking out for TV news and radio weather reports.|
|6.2 The Secretary drew attention to the Budget Consultation – Council Officers have put forward proposed budget cuts. The public consultation ends at the end of Octoberwww.fifedirect.org.uk/bigchange, but there will also be meetings held in Cupar County Buildings on Tues 26th Nov and St Andrews Town Hall on Tues 3rd Dec, both between 6.30 – 8.30pm hosted by the Council where the draft budget can be discussed.
The Chairman had received a letter from the Chief Superintendent of Police Scotland regarding changes to the Public Counter Service Provision which stated that he is keen to hear our views regarding the proposed changes by email to PublicCounterReview@scotland.pnn.police.uk or to Public Counter Review Team, Business Change Office, Police Scotland, Pitt Street, Glasgow G2 4JS (by 31 October 2013).
|The Chairman stated that what is proposed is the downgrading of local police stations. At the moment :
St Andrews provides a public counter service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – the proposal is to change this to Monday to Friday from 9 am to 5 pm
Anstruther currently has 9 am-5 pm coverage and the proposal is to close this.
Cupar currently provides a public counter service 24 hours per day, 7 days per week – and the proposal is to change this to 7 am to midnight, 7 days a week.
The Chairman pointed out that it is hard for people to go to Cupar – it is not on a direct bus route. Also in St Andrews the police station is where the Health Centre is and anyone travelling by bus from St Monans would need to take 2 buses.
He went on to say that when counter service is moved this is likely to result in less coverage and despite local police doing their best, it can take up to 2 or 3 days before the police can come out to take a statement.
The Chairman stated that he would encourage everyone to make their own representation about this, as if people do not say anything it will go ahead.
Cllr E Riches added that it is worth saying that at the moment there are 2 Chief Inspectors for Fife, but they are now saying there may only be one Chief Inspector; and also reiterated what the Chairman had stated – that it is not just the Community Council who need to respond to this, it is also everyone’s responsibility.
R Craib asked if she should write a response on behalf of the Community Council.
Cllr E Riches responded that if the decision is made on the basis of numbers they will look at our population. But if we think that every single village has a caravan park and holiday accommodation it means that during part of the year our population doubles.
Members of the Public
|7||Treasurer’s ReportThe Treasurer circulated paper copies of the Accounts. Funds are adequate. The fund-raising group for floral display have done a brilliant job and have raised £874 which is available for projects. They have already bought a mower and a strimmer and should get credit for what they have done.|
|8||Planning8.1 Planning application has been made for all-weather tennis courts plus multi games area beside Hope Place. G Brown indicated that he was in favour of this development. He said there could be some concern regarding floodlighting, but he had been told that with modern floodlighting this did not cause so much of a problem. P Shafron added that the lights are on a dimmer, and were angled down and will never be on after 9 pm.
As Community Council Members who are also Members of the Community Trust had declared an interest in the above application, the rest of the Community Council Members and members of the public were asked if there were any objections to the proposed planning application for tennis courts plus multi games area.
|8.2 G Brown stated that he saw no problem with the extension proposed in Queen Margaret Street.|
|8.3 G Brown stated that the Planning Application for an industrial unit in Station Road came up informally several months ago. The Community Council expressed concerns. They have now submitted a planning application which is exactly the same as they had originally proposed. (A 3 storey building, using industrial metal cladding with vertical slats.)
A member of the public stated that it had been a fish shed in the past and stated that she had seen the plans and was quite happy with the proposed building.
G Brown replied that the Community Council had no objection to the building, the Community Council were objecting to the materials. T Hughes added that this was because it is in the conservation area. P Copland agreed that it was the materials the Community Council were concerned about and stated that if the materials were in keeping with the rest of the village then the Community Council would not have a problem. The Chairman added that if we make an exception in this case, then it could be difficult to ask new applicants to adhere to the restrictions required in a conservation area. He added that as we have said many times, we try to take into account the view of the local residents and also the regulations. Anybody can put forward any viewpoint they want. You can log on to the website or write to Planning.
The member of the public also pointed out that it would bring work to the village. The Chairman replied that the Community Council has always objected to changing use from industrial to residential.
All Community Council Members agreed that the objection should be put forward.
|9||Public Questions9.1 A member of the public stated that there is another problem with a bollard at the entrance to the car park. G Brown replied that the owner of the house nearby reported this, and it is being dealt with.|
|9.2 A member of the public reported that the hedge going up the Pend needs cutting. G Brown replied that the 2 hedges tend to get overgrown because both the owners live elsewhere. They both have contractors who come now and again, but they need to be cut right back. Cllr E Riches added that if it is over a road, it is Transportation. If it is a path then it is the owner’s responsibility. The Chairman said that it was on a public footbath. Cllr E Riches advised that the person to write to, to contact the house owner, was Ian Barbour.||
|9.3 A member of the public complained that the surface of a path from Gourlay Crescent down hill to the school was in poor condition. He reported an incident to Fife Council where his wife fell. The resident showed Members of the Community Council a photograph showing the poor condition of the path, and P Copland advised him to also send the photograph to Fife Council. The Chairman added that if the member of the public got no response from Fife Council (after sending the picture) to let the Community Council know, and so that they can expedite it.|
|9.4 A member of the public advised the Community Council that St Monans no longer has a street cleaner, it is just a lorry that comes round, and mentioned the problem of dog fouling at Mary Wynd. P Copland advised the resident to report it to the dog warden. There was discussion regarding the difficulty of getting an answer when trying to ‘phone the dog warden. E Riches suggested in that circumstance to try 03451 550022 – (Environmental Health).|
|9.5 A member of the public stated that the railway bridge was in poor repair. M Ashworth agreed to ask the Factor if it is his responsibility,||M Ashworth|
|9.6 T Hughes stated that there was a lack of lampposts in West Street, and the area that covers the narrow Wynd in the Plerick area. He asked for someone to come to see what is required. Cllr D Macgregor agreed to make enquiries.||
Cllr D Macgregor
|9.7 W Buchan stated that the cemetery gates are now not in line (due to a pillar having been knocked down), and a person got her finger caught.|
|9.8 A member of the public suggested that a small portion of common ground was being taken over by a householder. Various Community Council members stated that they had had a similar situation to this previously and commented that they had little power in such circumstances.|
|9.9 G Brown stated that a Poppy Wreath had been ordered but, for the 6th year, the apostrophe was wrong again, and it has been sent back for the error to be corrected. The Chairman reminded all that the Remembrance Service was due to take place on 10th November. R Craib agreed to represent the Community Council at the Church on that day||R Craib|
|10||Close and Date of Next MeetingThe Chairman thanked everyone and closed the meeting.|
The next meeting will be on Monday 18 November at 7.30 pm in the Mayview Hotel Function Suite.
The following meeting will be on Tuesday 17 December at 7.30 pm in the Mayview Hotel Function Suite.