Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Burgh of St Monans and Abercrombie Community Council held on 17 March 2014 at 7.30 pm
|A Anderson (Chairman)||G Brown (Treasurer)||R Craib (Secretary)||M Ashworth|
|E HughesV Salvage
|Cllr MacgregorP Copland
|W BuchanCllr Riches
|E Porteous(Minute Secretary)|
Members of the public: 8
|Action / Person Responsible|
|1||Welcome and ApologiesThe Chairman welcomed everyone.
|2||Declarations of Interest R Craib declared an interest in the Planning Application relating to
35 Station Road.
V Salvage, P Copland and R Craib declared an interest in the application for funds for Sea Queen event.
|Report from Community Police Officer for East Neuk AreaThe Chairman introduced Sergeant Anderson, Community Police Officer for the East Neuk area.
Sergeant Anderson to gave an update on criminality in the area since the beginning of the year. He said that it still remains a fairly positive picture. There had been 11 crimes in the area, 6 of which have been detected. Regarding 2 crimes, the police believe the person who may be responsible is currently in jail.
He said that the other thing he would like to mention was the new local policing plan. (Sergeant Anderson suggested that Councillors may have a copy of the draft). Regarding local matters they are getting feedback that antisocial behaviour and driver behaviour are high on the agenda. He added that a local police officer will probably come to every other Community Council Meeting.
Sergeant Anderson asked if there were any questions. Both members of CC and public expressed concern about congestion in Miller Terrace due to a parked caravan, trailer and parking on the pavement. He will investigate.
He will also follow up concerns of refuse trucks driving on pavement in Hope Place and the positioning of a car for sale at the top of Station Road
The Chairman thanked Sergeant Anderson, and reminded those present that the best telephone number to use to contact Community Police is 101.
|3||Last Minutes and Matters Arising 3.1 Community Payback
G Brown reported, regarding Community Payback, that tubs are being refurbished.
V.Salvage is having a meeting with Liz Murphy on Thursday, 27 March, at 12 noon regarding paths in the cemetery. R Craib said that the CC did get a response from Liz Murphy, saying that due to the layout of the cemetery and where the graves are, if paths were made, they would need to be redone when graves were opened for burials . A Member of the Public commented that it is the machinery used to dig the graves that is the problem.
R Craib added that the Council have done recent work involving borders and depressions. There had been an on-going problem with water from the standpipe. The Council looked at this and there is still a significant problem, so they will turn off the water until this is fixed.
3.2 (3.2) Waste Bins
R Craib reported that she had been given a copy of the letter that is being put on some bins stating that bins should be stored within the boundaries of properties, and to contact Waste Aware if this is a problem
R Craib said she would contact Waste Aware giving them an update and asking what the next steps would be if bins are not removed.
3.3 (3.3) Garage area at south end of Queen Margaret Street
Work has finished at the garages at the bottom of Queen Margaret Street. A Member of the Public reported that a post made it difficult to turn at the end of the street. It was also reported that a person had been hosing vehicles beside the garages, which could result in the work not lasting well, as there is nowhere for the water to drain. R Craib to contact Colin gilbert for advice.
3.4 (8.4) Hedge at the Pend
G Brown said that he had been in touch with the owners and they said that they would cut the hedge and take it down to 6 ft. He reported that it has a slight trim but he will contact again for more action.
3.5 (3.9) Ownership of Old Railway Bridge
M Ashworth said she had spoken to Balcaskie Estate Office but no more information is available. Cllr Riches suggested the CC should contact Jim Hannay. Cllr Macgregor said that he would get in touch with Jim Hannay and ask him to take it forward.
3.6 (8.3) Refuse Lorries Reversing
Cllr Riches said that the Council took the CC’s concerns very seriously. They are going to inform the drivers about the comments about them going at an appropriate speed and remind them of health and safety implications. They are allowed to leave the vehicles to empty the bins, but the driver must not be far from the vehicle and must be parked in such a way that it does not cause any damage.
There was discussion regarding waste being left behind on the road after the refuse had been. Cllr Riches said that if a mess has been left, they should be asked to come back.
V Salvage said there was a particular problem during high winds. Cllr Riches said that they had asked Waste Aware to look at a way the bins could be closed. Waste Aware have looked at a latch and that has been rejected. They are now looking into whether a magnet would stop bins from flying open.
R Craib read a response from Waste Aware which asked people to “Please help during times of high winds by only putting your bin out when necessary:
– If you think the wind is so bad that a gust might tip the bin over then consider waiting until your next collection.
– Can you store or take your recycling or landfill waste to a Recycling Point or Recycling Centre?
If your bin does need to be emptied, then if possible:
– Make sure bins are closed and secure.
– Don’t put your bin out too early, but put your bin out on the morning of collection, before 6 am.
– Protect your bin from the winds by putting your bin alongside a shelter such as a wall or a fence, if a shelter is available on the kerbside.
– If this is not practical then place bins in clusters with your neighbours’ bins.
– Bring your bin in as soon as possible after collection.”
3.7 (9.2) Large Potholes
M Ashworth confirmed that the Council have repaired some of the large potholes. P Copland said that there was a large hole had appeared due to heavy traffic at the end of Hope Place. This had been repaired, but 2 yards away there was some other holes that the Council did not touch. Cllr Riches replied that the Council employees will only repair holes that are on their sheet.
P Copland stated that he had been informed that the road at Hope Place will not get done until the next financial year. (However he had noted that a road in Elie which had many fewer potholes, had lots of yellow paint round it.)
The Chairman suggested that the CC should perhaps report all the places where there are potholes and where the road is breaking down, saying that Hope Place is a priority but listing other places that require attention. Cllr Riches commented that the Council will only carry out repairs if the potholes are at least 40 mm in depth.
3.8 Error in Previous Minutes
R Craib intimated an error in the previous Minutes , which should be amended to show that V Bland was in attendance.
The Minutes of the previous Ordinary Meeting of the Burgh of St Monans and Abercrombie Community Council, held on Monday, 17 February 2014, were approved.
George Brown P Copland
|4||Chairperson’s Report4.1 Chairperson informed those at the meeting that St Andrews Environmental Network (which helps people to save energy and stay warm), and the Citizens Advice Bureau were available to give advice at the Town Hall until 18 March 2014.|
|5||Secretary’s Report5.1 Braid Court Improvements
Money had been made available to do some improvements at Braid Court including:
– replacing the drying green area with chips
– planting shrubs
– planting privet hedges
– trimming existing hedge
– pruning trees
– installing gas and electricity boxes
– tenants given keys
– improvements to lighting in the area
5.2 Lighting for Church over Festive Period
The Secretary had received a letter of thanks from the Church for paying towards the cost of floodlighting over the festive period.
A letter had been received from the Church saying that the fence between the manse and the playpark was in a state of collapse. The Secretary reported that Alan Bisset is going to find out whose responsibility it is. W Buchan stated that children have been jumping on the fence. A Member of the Public said that, 30 years ago, there was a sleeper fence that was the responsibility of the railway, but when the playpark was put up, the Council put up the fence in the present position, so they took it that it belongs to the Council (who took the original fence away without consultation).
M Ashworth said that she would email Alan Bisset saying that there were reports of children jumping on the fence.
|6||Treasurer’s Report6.1 The Treasurer reported that since last month there has been a net movement of £57 out.
6.2 The MUGA
The Community Trust has planning permission for tennis courts. There is a need to raise 5% of the total cost (£140,950). The Treasurer said that he had been asking other groups, but suggested that the Community Council puts £1,000 towards this, saying that he thought it would be a great thing for the Village and it probably will happen. The Chairman added that, for those who are not aware, we have to match the funding, but we cannot use the Common Good Fund. Following a vote, the Treasurer’s suggestion was agreed. The Secretary will write a letter pledging the money. The Treasurer said that there will be money forthcoming from the Locality Budget.
The Treasurer said that some of those present will have already received a leaflet through their door and advised to complete the bottom part of the leaflet and return it to: the Primary School; True Colours (Hairdresser) or SPAR
G Brown /
Members of the Public
|7||Planning7.1 35 Station Road There were no objections. The Chairman stated that Members of the Public could also look at the Plans, and if they had objections they should contact the website or the Planning Department.
7.2 15 Station Road
G Brown stated that the planning permission for 15 Station Road was granted with conditions. There was some surprise expressed that this had been passed as some of the materials used were not traditional. Cllr D Macgregor stated that the applicant had met the conditions, which overcame any objections. The Chairman said that the CC was concerned as they have always tried to take the view that in the conservation area they made decisions in line with Planning guidelines. Cllr J Docherty said that the application showed pictures that appeared to fit in with the area.
Cllr D Macgregor added that precedence could not be used in these decisions as each one has to have the decision taken on its own merits.
7.3 Bowhouse Project – Planning Statement
G Brown stated that he saw nothing in this that would worry anybody in the village. The Chairman added that Toby Anstruther is trying to involve the Community. The CC have always encouraged local businesses in the area and this scheme would involve micro businesses, as well as scope for vertical integration.
|8||Public Questions8.1 Double Yellow Lines
In reply to a question by a Member of the Public, P Copland replied there was no further information about double yellow lines at George Terrace. The Member of the Public stated that Works Vans were parking on George Terrace and the entrance to George Terrace. P Copland replied that he would pursue this – (and also regarding the pier and the pinch-point, which also need to be done).
8.2 Road at the back of Miller Terrace
A Member of the Public thanked P Copland for contacting the Council about the road at the back of Miller Terrace. P Copland said that he had a meeting with Lynne Davidson and she promised to get back to him with a budget price for the works.
Lynne Davidson has now handed this to Ian Wallace who will come to see the site.
8.3 Bins at Virgin Square at East Street
A Member of the Public complained bins at Virgin Square at
East Street were blocking the path.
8.4 Garden on Common Ground
Someone had built a small garden between the houses on Common Ground in Forth Street. R.Craib will contact Andrew Fergusson to confirm that it is on Common Good land and ask advice.
8.5 Lights on East Shore
A Member of the Public asked about the lights at East Shore which are on all day. G Brown added that also some lights were not on at night. Cllr Riches replied that lights were sometimes left on when there was a problem with them prior to repair.
8.6 Seat beside the Mine
A Member of the public asked if there was any way to get a new seat beside the mine, as vandals have been burning the back of the old seat and melted part of the back support.
W Buchan asked about the plaque for the wall regarding fishermen who had saved a lady pilot’s life. A Member of the public replied that he had investigated if there was a conflict of interest between Pittenweem and St Monans. He had discovered that it was a Pittenweem boat (called ‘The Provide’) rented by
St Monans’ fishermen. He said that he thought the plane itself was lying off Cellardyke. He had found newspaper cuttings regarding the names of the crew. From his investigation he thought there were 5 fishermen in total. He had managed to find a photograph of two of the fishermen in the 1930s. He said that he would like some acknowledgement for what they did in saving the female (who they have not yet managed to trace).
A company is currently attempting to restore and rebuild this make of plane (a Barracuda). The only way to build one is by salvaging parts. The plane in the sea off Cellardyke is of interest because it was brand new.
The Chairman asked what kind of plaque should be put up, and asked whether it should be a simple plaque or something a little bigger for example with a map and a storyboard. V Salvage thought a storyboard would be more informative.
The Chairman asked where the plaque should be sited. It was suggested that it should be somewhere close to the pier, but where people can see it. A Member of the Public suggested the Harbour Master’s Office.
Cllr Riches suggested that the people who did the storyboard for the Murray Library would be able to provide the person’s name.
The Chairman said there was a commitment from the CC to take this forward. They would liaise with the Member of the Public to put something together.
8.8 Door on old Rates Office
A Member of the Public said that the door on the old Rates Office (next to the Post Office) is in a bad state and the ironwork is a mess. The Chairman said that Estates will advise us who the occupant is, or whether it belongs to the Council.
Cllr D Macgregor said he would contact Michael McCardle.
Cllr D Macgregor
|9||AOCBThe Chairperson reported that the CC had received two applications for the Common Good Fund: one for the Sea Queen and one for the Floral Display.
9.1 Floral Display
G Brown said that the application for the floral display was for £3,000, which is what we have had for the last few years (excluding the year we bought the new baskets). He suggested that it sounds a lot, but it costs a lot for the hanging baskets and for the watering and feeding. The application for the money for the floral display was voted on and supported by a majority, with the exception of the treasurer who has to abstain.
9.2 Sea Queen
The application for £1,000 from the Common Good Fund for the Sea Queen event was carried unanimously.
9.3 Railing at the Plerick
V Salvage had heard from Ian Barbour about a Blacksmith who might give the CC a quote regarding railings at the Plerick.
9.4 Sea Wall
R Craib said that she had received a representation from a resident in St Monans about the Sea Wall down towards the church, which is now eroding. A Member of the Public said that she lived near this part of the Sea Wall. She said that she was in touch with a Mr Kennedy and they are going to come and mend the wall in about 4 weeks time.
9.5 Flooding beside Coastal Path (on the path and grass from Rose Street towards the Windmill)
E Hughes said that there is a recurrence of flooding along the coastal path that has been going on for years. The path is actually flooding, but also the grass is really bad. Cllr J Docherty said that he would take this forward.
9.6 Harbour Tangles
A Member of the public said that there is a bundle of ropes in the harbour that needs to be collected and also complained that the harbour was stinking. Cllr Riches said that she would take this forward.
Cllr J Docherty
Cllr E Riches
|10||Close and Date of Next MeetingThe Chairman thanked everyone and closed the meeting.|
The next meeting will be on Monday, 21 April 2014 at 7.30 pm in the
Mayview Hotel Function Suite.