BURGH OF ST MONANS COMMUNITY COUNCIL
Minutes of ordinary meeting of the Burgh of St Monans Community Council on
Monday 19th January 2009 at 7.30pm in Mayview Hotel Function Suite,
V.Bland G.Brown R.Craib V.Salvage
W.Buchan E.Hughes T.Hughes Cllr Macgregor
Cllr Scott Hayward
12 members of the public were present.
- 1) Welcome and Apologies
In the absence of chairperson E.Scott, Vice Chairperson, V.Bland chaired the meeting.
Apologies were received from E.Scott and Cllr Riches.
•2) Public Questions
There were none.
•3) Allotment Presentation
Ian Anderson from the East Fife Allotment Association presented their plans for allotments in St Monans. He was accompanied by Martin Jeffcott, Development Officer from Fife Council.
Background. Mr Anderson intimated that there had been strong interest over several years for allotments in the area ( 37 members in Association, 17 from St Monans)
This is their 3rd attempt to try to find a suitable site.
They believe the proposed site, namely Station Field, on corner of Elm Grove and
Abercrombie Road is favourable for the following reasons
- Land available from land owner
- Close to St Monans’ residents
- Close to public transport
- Main access possible from Abercrombie Road
- Site is not within residential area
- Site can be screened and secured by security fence and hedging.
- Plan for a variety of plot sizes, huts, parking and compostable toilet.
- Management would be in partnership with Fife Council
- Plots would be subject to specific rules with regular inspection.
The development would be expected to cost £120,000 plus and the Association would seek funding from Climate Challenge Fund, Leader Plus, FC grants, Lottery and St Monans Common Good Fund. They would also like to discuss the possibility of lease or purchase of the land via the St Monans Common Good Fund.
After plans were viewed by those present, an extended session of questions and comments were made by members of the CC and public, both in support of and against the proposal. The main outcome was support for the principle of an allotment scheme but not at the proposed site in Elm Grove.
Anyone interested in the allotment scheme was invited to attend their AGM at 7.30pm on Thursday 12th February in the Harbour Howff, St Monans.
•4) Last Minutes and Matters Arising
4.1 (9.1) G.Brown intimated that yet another final demand for payment for water bill for Heritage Centre has been received and again put into the hands of Mike Melville at Fife Council.
They have proof that the bill has been paid.
4.2 ( 9.4) R.Craib commented that a great amount of preparation and work have been carried out by members of the CC for the forthcoming “Burns Supper” and “Senior Citizen’s Tea” and it is hoped both are successful.
Minutes of previous meeting were accepted.
- 5) Chairperson’s Report
Nothing to report
•6) Secretary’s Report
Correspondence received between 16/12/08 and 19/1/09
- Review of Common Good Application Procedures ( letter)
- Community Council Support Working Group ( printed email)
- New Contact List Roads Service North ( email retained for info)
- Project and Programme Management Scotland 09 (email sent to CC members and retained)
- Training Courses for Rural groups ( printed email and retained)
- The Gathering – A Big Get Together for Culture in Fife ( emailed sent to CC members and retained)
- 7) Treasurer’s Report
- 9) AOCB
9.1 Following the resignation of Rev D. MacEwan, R Craib to write, in turn as necessary, to the next- in- line candidates from last year’s election of CC members to ascertain if any would still consider joining the CC.
9.2 W.Buchan expressed great concern at state of Queen Margaret Street garages re flooding. Cllr Macgregor to pursue.
9.3 A complaint has been received about the benches on the braes adjacent to Church with access to some being difficult on slippy banking. It is thought there may be no suitable solution but Cllr Macgregor will follow up and investigate possibilities.
9.4 Residents in East Street are not having black bins emptied because of having paper rubbish in them despite their having no blue bins. Cllr Macgregor to contact Waste Aware to clarify situation.
9.5 T.Hughes asked if there was any progress with Muir home development. Nothing known at present.
•10) Close and Date of Next Meeting
V.Bland thanked everyone and closed meeting. Next meeting will be on Monday 16th February at 7.30pm in Mayview Hotel Function Suite.